Johan Cruyff dies of cancer aged 68
Johan Cruyff dies of cancer aged 68, his official website announces.
"On March 24 2016, Johan Cruyff (68) died peacefully in Barcelona, surrounded by his family after a hard fought battle with cancer," reads the statement from his official website.
"It’s with great sadness that we ask you to respect the family’s privacy during their time of grief."
He was a three-time Ballon d'Or winner and also won three consecutive European Cups as a player with Ajax.
He helped his country reach the World Cup final in 1974, where they lost to West Germany.
As a manager he led Barcelona to their first European Cup win in 1992 and the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1989.
They also won four consecutive La Liga titles from 1990-91 to 1993-94.
Just last month, Johan Cruyff said he was "2-0 up in a match" against lung cancer.
The three-time Ballon d'Or winner was told of his illness in October.
"The results have been very positive," he said. "Thanks to the excellent work of the doctors, the affection of the people and my positive mentality.
"Right now, I have the feeling that I am 2-0 up in the first half of a match that has not finished yet," he added. "But I am sure I will end up winning."
Source:bbc
No comments:
Post a Comment